Holiday Safety Tips Around the Home
The holidays are a wonderful time of the year. Holiday lights and decorations, parties with friends and families and of course, home-cooked meals and baked desserts! Lloyd Baker Injury Attorneys wants to ensure that your whole family remains safe and injury-free throughout the season and New Year. Please read our holiday safety reminders, and take extra care this season to be sure that it is a safe one.
- Make sure pot holders, rags and dishtowels are kept away from flames.
- Wash your hands and food surfaces frequently to help prevent bacteria and cross-contamination.
- To avoid getting sick, be sure to cook to proper temperatures and refrigerate promptly if necessary.
- If you have a live tree, make sure to keep the stand filled with water so that the tree does not dry out quickly.
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure the label on the box reads ” Fire Resistant”
- All trees should be placed away from fireplaces, radiators and portable heaters.
- Be sure the tree is mounted on a sturdy base so that it can not be easily knocked over by children or pets.
- If you are hanging up lights outside, be sure they are labeled “for outdoor use”
- Hang smaller and more fragile ornaments on the top of the tree to keep them away from children and pets.
- Never use lighted candles on any tree.
- If you choose to use tinsel, be sure it is made of non-leaded material.
- Turn off all lights when leaving your home and when going to bed.
Watch the Flammables!
- Keep baking soda handy for small grease fires. Never use water on grease fires.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Do not burn wrapping paper or tree branches in the fireplace. These ignite rapidly.
- Make sure the fire is completely put out before leaving your house or going to bed.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher handy.
- Have your chimney cleaned regularly. Soot can harden on chimney walls and become flammable.
If you or a loved one has been injured during the holidays, give the Powerhouse Injury Attorneys at Lloyd Baker Injury Attorneys a call at 702-444-2222. Attorneys are available 24/7 to answer your questions and get you the help that you need.